The goal of the project is to make up for shortage of drinking water in the upper Batroun District, and to use the remaining static storage to compensate for the shortage of irrigation water.
The site for the Balaa reservoir and dam being located in a karstic zone, water-tightness was achieved by placing a bituminous concrete membrane.
- Dam made of rockfill (limestone, dolomite and basalt) with a bituminous rockfill upstream facing
- Maximum height above ground level: 35 m
- Crest length: 499 m
- Normal reservoir capacity: 1.15 Mm3
- Rockfill volume: 470,000 m
- Flood spillway capacity: 80 m3/s